Monday, March 26, 2012

Journal 9

Pape, L, Sheehan, T, and Worrell, C. "How to Do More- Lessons From Online Learning." Learning and Leading with Technology. 39.6 (2012): 18-22. Web. 26 Mar. 2012. <http://www.iste.org/Store/Product.aspx?ID=2348>. 

Summary: In this article, the authors focus on the issue of teachers being limited on resources such as money and time, yet parents and the government are expecting more out of both teachers and students alike. These three authors create different techniques that teachers can use in order to get the most out of the little that they are given. By using technology both within and outside of the classroom, teachers can get the most communication with their students. Through and online program, students are able to collaborate with each other, and also use the teacher as a resource when they are not physically in the classroom. Personally, I had never heard of a flipped classroom before this article, and I am fond of the concept. It seems as though it would save so much classroom time if the students reviewed the lectures at home. The material can then be reviewed and applied within the classroom. Many of the tools we have used in our own classroom (ED422) are mentioned in the article, and each one enhances the students' learning experience. As long as students have access to computers, through the use of technology, teachers can ensure their students are getting the best education possible despite the budget and time restraints.

Question 1: In what ways could I ensure I am giving my future students the best education?
When I am a teacher, I will definitely use a program like Blackboard or CougarCourses in order to keep constant communication with my students. Not only do these programs save time, but they are environmentally friendly. I do not want hundreds of papers flying around my house, but rather, have every assignment from each student neatly placed into its appropriate folder on the computer. I also strongly believe that websites such as Diigo and reddit could enhance students' learning, so long as the distractions are minimal.

Question 2: What [in my own opinion] is the best way to save time and money while maximizing the students' education?
I feel that putting lectures onto videos or podcasts is genius, and I am surprised more lecturers do not take advantage of this type of technology. The only issue I could see occurring is when the students do not watch/listen to the lecture prior to the class. This, however, is a problem that happens in every class and every situation. There are students who do not read, do not complete homework assignments, etc. Reviewing and applying the lecture material in the class could still benefit the students who missed the lecture though.

No comments:

Post a Comment